BioTE is a form of bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT) that uses plant-based, bioidentical hormone pellets to treat men and women with hormonal issues. BioTE hormone therapy helps to bring depleted hormone levels back to an optimal balanced state and restore normal body function in people with hormone imbalance.
Our endocrine system produces hormones that enter our bloodstream and help perform several bodily functions. They assist with metabolism, sexual development, reproductive health, mood regulation, growth, and other functions. Unfortunately, as we grow older, the production of hormones slows down, causing an imbalance or deficit that can trigger a whole lot of unpleasant symptoms.
BioTE hormone pellets replicate the body’s biological hormones, replace deficiencies, and optimize to the best possible levels for your body. These pellets are inserted underneath the skin and eventually dissolve allowing for a constant release of small, physiologic doses that provides optimal therapy 24/7. Unlike standard transdermal or oral forms of hormonal therapy which produce “roller coaster” effect or highs and lows in hormone levels that result in fluctuation in mood and energy, BioTE hormone pellet therapy provides sustained hormone levels throughout the day for up to three to six months, without the “roller coaster” effect.
Indications for BioTE Hormone Replacement Therapy
You may be a candidate for BioTE hormone replacement therapy if you have any of the following symptoms associated with hormonal imbalance:
- Mood swings and irritability
- Low-sex drive
- Extreme fatigue
- Confusion, memory loss, and mental fog
- Hot flashes, night sweats
- Joint aches and pain
- Difficulty sleeping
Administration of BioTE Hormone Replacement Therapy
The BioTE hormone pellets comprise of the hormones estrogen and testosterone in the form of a compact pellet-shaped solid structure and are typically less than 1 cm in size. These pellets are administered in an office setting within a few minutes utilizing a local anesthetic. Your healthcare provider will make a small incision of about ¼ inch in one of your hips and the pellets are inserted in the fat underneath the skin of the hip.
Conditions Treated with BioTE Hormone Replacement Therapy
There are several conditions connected to hormonal imbalance, and BioTE hormone replacement therapy can help treat, prevent, or relieve symptoms associated with such conditions. These include:
- Menopause symptoms
- Breast cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Thyroid problems
- Growth disorders
Additionally, research studies have shown BioTE hormone pellet therapy to:
- Reduce heart disease risk
- Reduce diabetes risk
- Prevent dementia and Alzheimer’s disease
- Increase bone mass and lean muscle
- Help in losing belly fat
- Provide a general sense of well being
Benefits of BioTE Hormone Replacement Therapy
Some of the benefits of BioTE hormone replacement therapy include:
- Increased energy level – Having the correct level of hormones in your body helps in regulating and maintaining normal energy levels.
- Balanced mood – For patients with low or deficient hormones, optimizing hormones helps in promoting a positive mood.
- Improved sleep – Having too little or too much hormone can interrupt or disturb sleep. By balancing hormones, normal sleep can be restored.
- Boosted weight loss – Erratic fluctuations in your hormones can make it hard to maintain a standard weight. Optimization of hormones can help in better weight management.
- Improved mental clarity – High or low levels of hormones can trigger brain fog. As you optimize your hormone levels, you may experience normal mental clarity.
- Restored libido – Low hormone levels can cause plummeting of your sex drive. Hormone replacement therapy can help to restore your sex drive to normal levels.
Risks and Complications
Some of the risks and complications associated with BioTE hormone replacement therapy include:
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- Pulmonary embolism
- Breast tenderness
- Thickened endometrial lining